Q : Can I trust you?

We have over 20 years experience in the lettings industry. We are members of the UK Association of Letting Agents (UKALA), an accredited member of The National Landlords Association (NLA) and Milton Keynes Private Landlords Association (MKPLA). We are registered with the Property Redress Scheme (PRS), a government authorised consumer redress scheme for Property Agents and Professionals, MyDeposits, a government authorised tenancy deposit protection scheme and the Information Commissioners Office for Data Protection.

Most importantly all client funds are held in a separate bank account and covered by Client Money Protection Insurance and we have Professional Indemnity Insurance as well as being an accredited Safe Agent Member.

Q : Do I need to provide ID?

Please be aware that we are legally required to inspect your ID to satisfy the Government Right To Rent Checks and we will therefore need to see a form of photo ID, such as a passport, or driver’s license and a recent utility bill (within the last 3 months). Other documentation may also be required.

We also need to obtain references in support of each adult who wishes to enter into a tenancy, so you will be asked to complete our Tenancy Application form. This process may involve us requesting references from your employer, your current and previous landlords, your bank or building society, your accountant and a character reference.

Q : Do you accept pets?

This varies from property to property. Some landlords will consider pets, some will not. Unfortunately, some pets can cause a lot of expensive damage. Cats can claw furniture and decoration and dogs can scratch and chew doors and walls. Also, pet odours can become embedded into carpets and soft furnishings, making it difficult, or perhaps even impossible to remove the odour. Irresponsible pet owners don’t always clean up after their pets and sometimes gardens can become full of animal waste.

If a landlord is prepared to consider pets we follow the Dogs Trust guidance on Lets with Pets www.letswithpets.org.uk.

If accepted, you would be required to pay a non-refundable £300 Pet Cleaning Supplement to the landlord at the start of your tenancy, to cover any additional cost of pet hair removal, anti-bacterial, anti-mite and anti-odour treatment of carpets, curtains and soft furnishings, as well as two months’ rent as security deposit. You would also be contractually obliged to have – and maintain throughout your tenancy – tenant’s contents insurance that covers accidental damage by your pet. Don’t worry though, we can arrange the appropriate insurance cover for you through our insurance partners.

We also recommend that you offer to pay a slightly higher rent to incentivise the landlord to accept your request to keep a pet.

Q : Do you accept tenants on housing benefit?

As a rule, most of our landlords cannot accept tenants in receipt of housing benefit. However, if a landlord does accept housing benefit then you will be required to pay two months’ rent as security deposit and provide a creditworthy Guarantor.

Q : Is my Tenant Application Payment refundable?

The Tenant Application Payment will be refunded if your application is successful, but we are unable to offer you a tenancy for whatever reason. However, the Tenant Application Payment is non-refundable if you fail the credit or referencing checks, or if you decide not to progress your application, or if you decline an offer of tenancy, or if you are unable to provide a suitable guarantor on request.

Please understand that the Tenant Application Payment includes a Tenancy Application Fee (£250 minimum) and a £250 Commitment Fee, which is held as security to compensate the landlord for loss of rent and other expenses, including re-advertising costs, in the event of a failed application and for our time and costs to process your application.

Your £250 commitment fee will be credited against your first month’s rent if your tenant application is successful.

Q : What happens about maintenance?

Your landlord is responsible for maintaining the external structure of your home and any outbuildings, such as external walls, roofs, doors and windows (excluding glass), drains, gutters and outside pipes, together with the main paths that lead to your front and back doors. Inside your home, your landlord is responsible for water and gas pipes, wiring, heating systems, drainage, power and light fittings and any items originally provided by him or her, but not items that are your responsibility. Your landlord is also responsible for carrying out a gas safety check once a year, if your home has a gas supply.

We have a small service and maintenance team that attend to the majority of our repair work. You should make all maintenance requests via our dedicated 24 hour maintenance voicemail service by calling 01908 904334 and choosing option 2. Your request will be processed and the most appropriate member of staff will call you to discuss the issue.

Not all routine maintenance is your landlord’s responsibility. Under housing and landlord and tenant law you are expected to attend to minor maintenance and repairs yourself, or to arrange and pay to get them done by someone else.

Full details of your responsibilities for repairs and maintenance are stated in our Maintenance Policy Tenants Guide, which can be found here..

Q : What is a security deposit?

A security deposit is held in case of any damage or dilapidation of the property during your tenancy. All our tenancy deposits are protected by a government approved tenancy deposit protection scheme. At the end of your tenancy your security deposit will be returned to you in accordance with the scheme providers rules, after any agreed deductions.

Q : What sort of tenancy agreement will I sign?

All our tenancies are normally Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) agreements. The initial fixed term of the tenancy is 6 months, after which time the tenancy becomes Statutory Periodic, which means it runs from month to month. After the initial fixed term you may wish to sign a new tenancy agreement, but it is not compulsory.

Q : When can I move in?

If you are interested in a vacant property, we expect new tenants to start their tenancy within two weeks of viewing the property, unless we have agreed a later starting date with you before you pay your Tenant Application Payment.

If you are interested in a property that is currently tenanted, then we will tell you the earliest moving in date before you view the property. In these circumstances, we expect new tenants to start their tenancy within one week of the property becoming vacant.

If you do not complete your tenancy application within these timescales, or if you do not accept the pre-agreed tenancy start date, then the property may be re-advertised and your Tenant Application Payment withheld.